#TheList Tina Elizabeth Coles, born c. 1998, and Martin C Hessey, born c. 1980, both of Carolyn Lane Court, Blackman Way, Rugby CV21 2US – failed to get their pet cat Tigger veterinary treatment for a stomach ulcer which later perforated and led to his death.
Tina Coles and partner Martin Hessey both pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to their cat when they appeared at Birmingham Magistrates’ Court.
The court heard how three-year-old Tigger had developed a stomach ulcer but the couple failed to take him for treatment, with the ulcer perforating and killing him weeks later.
A member of the public reported the cat’s death to the RSPCA and inspector Helen Smith was sent to investigate on June 1, 2019.
Inspector Smith found Tigger’s emaciated body in a freezer at the couple’s flat. He weighed just 1.47kg when a cat of his age should weigh 4 to 4.5kg.
Inspector Smith said: “It would have been blatantly obvious that Tigger was in need of veterinary treatment but the couple failed to act.
“The stomach ulcer would have led to an obvious lack of appetite which is why Tigger was so emaciated.
“The vet said he would have suffered for at least a month and his death would have been slow and painful.
“This case really highlights how imperative if it for owners to take their pets for veterinary treatment if they show symptoms of illness. Poor Tigger was left to suffer unnecessarily.”
In mitigation, the court was told both had mental health issues which the magistrates took into account when sentencing.
Sentencing: fined £120 and also ordered to pay a £30 victim surcharge. Both were banned from keeping all animals for seven years.