#TheList Richard Curtis and Claire Fradgley, both aged 36, of Loweswater Road, Denton Burn, Newcastle upon Tyne NE5 2SN – starved a boa constrictor snake to death
A post-mortem revealed starvation was the only possible cause of death.
Speaking about the case RSPCA inspector Kirsty Keogh-Laws said: “Curtis and Fradgley admitted that they knew the snake was thin but they didn’t do anything about it.”
“This snake suffered and died as a result.”
The couple initially denied any wrongdoing, despite the charity claiming they had caused the reptile to suffer needlessly for more than two months last winter.
But just before their trial at Newcastle Magistrates’ Court was due to start, they both entered guilty pleas to four charges.
The pair admitted causing unnecessary suffering to the animal, along with failing to ensure the snake’s welfare.
They were caught when the landlord of their old Newburn Road property in Newcastle found the unnamed snake.
The attending RSPCA officer discovered the vivarium in which the snake was found didn’t even have a heat lamp.
Magistrates have now banned the pair, who are parents to three boys, from keeping reptiles again.
Curtis: a total of £865 fines and costs
Fradgley: a total of £700 fines and costs
Both banned for life from keeping reptiles